I would like to improve my English, and I have did some research online to get some tips on how to improve English. In this article, I will discuss why I want to improve English, what is my goal of English improvement and strategies that I plan to use to improve my English.
Why I want to improve English
English is an international language; more and more people are using English as a way to communicate. To me, there are some reasons that I would like to have good English.
- My native language is Chinese, and I live in Australia at the moment. I can speak and write English fluently, but not at an advance level. Often, I found that I can’t express myself very well with English. If my English is good, I could communicate better when talking with friends. I could also be more confident in applying jobs or advance my career to a more senior level.
- English language is a skill, and master a skill can make me more confident.
- Good English open the doors to more opportunity. If my English is good, I can write better articles, and build my website better. I could work as a content writer or English tutor or even interpreter. On the whole, there is more job opportunity for me, as most job advertised require excellent speaking and writing English.
My Goal of English Improvement
Is there a measurement for good English? I know there is IETLS to test English proficiency level, but is it worth to spend a few hundred dollars to sit for the test just to have an idea how good my English is? I don’t think I want to do this at this stage. Maybe I will set some simple goals to start with, and then I can adjust my goals later based on my results.
I will reflect on my English language ability and based on the reflection, I will set some goals that I want to achieve in 2017.
Review of My English Language Skills
- My vocabulary is about only 10000 based on Shan Bay test.
- I can speak clear English, but need improvement on certain pronunciations.
- My English grammar is poor as I hardly remember any grammar rules, and I often make simple grammar mistakes.
- I am not able to write well. Most of the time, I don’t know what to write if I were given a topic. However, I have been making improvement since I started practice English writing three weeks ago.
- My listening is OK but need improvement. I can’t always understand the English News, mainly due to poor vocabulary.
- My reading and comprehension ability need improvement too due to vocabulary.
Based on the evaluation above, I have made the following goals for the remaining of 2017.
- Achieve 20000 words vocabulary by the end of 2017.
- Study grammar online or via book, understand basic English grammar.
- Listen to English News or radios for about 15 minutes daily, read aloud English articles about 10 minutes daily.
- Correct pronunciation mistakes.
- Practice writing daily and aim for four articles per week, as I am practice Chinese writing too. So in total will be seven articles per week. There is no word requirement for the article, as long as I write.
Language is a powerful tool; I hope I can achieve my goal of English improvement for year 2017.